What Is Neck Pain?
- Pain located in the neck is a common problem, and it can arise for many reasons. Examples of common conditions producing neck pain are degenerative disc disease, neck strain, neck injury such as in whiplash, a herniated disc, or a pinched nerve. Neck pain can also come from conditions directly affecting the muscles of the neck, such as fibromyalgia and polymyalgia rheumatica.
- Symptoms Of Neck Pain
- Stiffness or difficulty to turn your head.
- Pain if you read or look down for long periods of time.
- Headaches, shoulder blade pain.
- Dizziness or short term visual disturbance.
Suggestions For Managing Neck Pain
The management of neck pain depends on its precise cause. Care options include rest, heat/cold applications, osteopathy, remedial massage, myotherapy or medication. Occasionally cortisone injections are performed and in rare cases surgery may be required as a last resort. Home remedies include neck pain relief exercises and stretches, and neck pain relief products such as posture therapeutic pillows for sleep.
Your practitioner at Premier Health Partners is trained to determine the most appropriate form of care that is tailored specifically for you.
Neck Pain Management Options
Osteopathy is a “whole body” system of manual therapy which uses a range of techniques to manage musculo-skeletal disorders and other functional disorders of the body. This form of treatment was developed in America in the 1870s by Dr Andrew Taylor Still and has progressed in development to be widely scientifically validated and utilised around the world.
Myotherapy is the evidence based assessment, management and rehabilitation of musculoskeletal pain and associated conditions. Myotherapy targets the soft tissue of the body, namely muscle groups and connective tissue (myofascia), to help reduce pain, improve muscle function and increase joint range of motion. They also provide education on a range of postural complaints, functional movement and corrective exercise.